Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage 

If you have been injured in a car accident, you're entitled to be fully compensated for your injuries and other losses caused by the accident. You may be able to recover compensation from various sources. One of those sources is Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) coverage.    

Nebraska law requires vehicle owners to carry minimum levels of automobile insurance. However, not all vehicle owners maintain insurance coverage. Uninsured and underinsured coverage can help compensate injured persons when the at fault party does not have insurance coverage, or the liability policy limits are insufficient to fully compensation an injured person for all their injuries and damages.

Nebraska law requires a minimum of $25,000/$50,000 ($25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident) coverage for uninsured and uniderinsured claims. However, policy holders are permitted to carry higher levels if they wish to. But, Nebraska law prohibits stacking of UM and UIM policies. This means that you cannot stack one policy on another to receive more money. For example, if there are two different policies in which you are covered under, both with limits of $25,000, you can only receive a total $25,000 under UM or UIM coverage. However, if you are covered under a policy for $50,000 and another for $100,000, the total you could receive between the two policies is $100,000, the higher of the two limits. Underinsured coverage is in addition to any compensation you may receive under the at fault party's liability coverage. Visit our blog to find out more about uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.   

There are various requirements under Nebraska law that must be met before you are entitled to receive money under a UM or UIM policy. Contact car accident attorneys and automobile accident attorneys at Stephanie Flynn Law, or call (402) 325-8469, to help you receive compensation if you have been injured by an underused driver or if the at fault party's liability limits are insufficient to fully compensation you for your injuries and damages.